Mile Builder with instruction - 7 days - September
This will be a week of sailing combining a couple of longer passages with some skills and drills in the Solent. It will be suitable for anyone with a Competent Crew certificate or higher. Possible destinations for the longer passages are Weymouth, Poole, Chichester, Newhaven and Brighton. There will be an opportunity for those holding a Day Skipper certificate or higher to skipper a yacht outside of the confines of the Solent on a longer trip and those holding Competent Crew to hone their crewing skills on extended passages.We will also spend time doing some skills and drills in the Solent which will comprise a selection of the below. The exact makeup will be determined by crew experience and the time available outside of the longer passages.
- Efficient tacking/gybing
- Putting in /shaking out reefs under sail
- Sail trim refresh
- Sailing in confined areas (possibly short tacking up a river or sailing into a harbour)
- Sailing on/off anchor
- Sailing back to MOB (simulated engine failure)
- Sailing on/off mooring buoys
- Sailing on/off pontoons
- Rudderless sailing (steering a yacht using crew weight and sail trim)
- Bringing the boat alongside in a variety of wind and tide scenarios
- Assessing the conditions
- Forward and reverse mooring
- Stern to mooring (med style)
- Identifying and dealing with prop walk
- Utilising prop wash
- Turning a yacht round on the spot
- Arriving at a 'wind off' pontoon and leaving a 'wind on' pontoon
- Single line (shorthanded) mooring techniques
- Picking up mooring buoys under power
- Anchoring under power
- MOB (man over board) under power
- Working up and following forward/back bearings
- Identifying and following transits, both charted and natural
- Using clearing bearings to avoid dangers
- Anchoring on predetermined spot
- Tacking safely between unseen shallows or dangers
- Night pilotage
- Latticing (quick position plots when tacking up wind at night)
- Following depth contours
- Blind Navigation (simulated fog navigation)
By signing up to this week you are accepting LCSC's Standard T & C's for Offshore Practical Courses - please find a copy here
Cost: £775 (this includes fuel and provisions. Mooring fees will be shared amongst the crew)A deposit of £200 secures your place. The balance of £575 is due no later than 8 weeks prior to the event. This payment will be made via bank transfer and details will be shared within in the reminders.
MEMBERS - please login and follow normal booking procedures.
NON-MEMBERS please contact the admin office to confirm availability and booking requirements. There will be an additional fee to cover insurance/admin, approx £25.
Any available tickets are member only.
Last updated 7:37am on 17 December 2021